Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Going Gigging for Frogs

One time, just one time during all the summers we went to Orlando, I remember grandpa going out with his buddies of an evening. It was all so hush-hush I thought it was illegal. Maybe it was. It was way after dark that the preparations were being made in my grandparents' big county kitchen and they involved flashlights, hipboots and spears (the gigs). When I pestered my folks for information I was told that grandpa was going gigging for frogs. I remember that the next day I thoroughly enjoyed those unbelievably sweet, mild, flavorful, tender little delicacies.

For a first person account of a gigging expedition, see Clementine James' story at http://www.dartreview.com/issues/11.12.01/gigging.html Clementine says, "Gigging is a dying sport. While it used to be a common practice, few hunt anymore. For its fellowship, its challenge, and its cuisine, frog gigging is unsurpassed." 1

This is how I remember froglegs being prepared. It is similar to Clementine's receipe. Dip the cut and skinned legs in egg yolk and then flour. Saute them in a skillet in lots of butter and season lightly to taste. Have them nicely browned, but don't overcook.

1. The Dartmouth Review Nov 21, 2001. "The Joys of Frog Gigging" by Clementine James
http://www.dartreview.com/issues/11.12.01/gigging.html

1 comment:

  1. I was born at Orlando, but lived most of my life on Flesher's Run.
    My parents are Solomon and Betty Brown. My Dad was a substitute mail carrier or Presley Bragg. I went frog gigging with my Dad several times and still yet today if I get a chance to eat frog legs, I do. Bonnie (Brown) Neal

    ReplyDelete