by David Parmer
The Fealy farm blacksmith shop was the third location of Bill’s forge, each of which was located at a previous place of residence. His first shop was located on Crooked Fork, near Loveberry. His second location was on the Kelly place, owned by the Dolan family, off Goosepen Run, and the final location of Pumphrey’s blacksmith shop was at the Fealy place which was rented from the Fealy family by Bill Pumphrey.
Left is Bill with his banjo.
Above left is Nora three years before she married Bill.
To the right above is Nora (Riffle) Pumphrey.
This Riffle/Pumphrey family photo was taken in 1917 across from Oak Grove School, Goosepen. This was three years before Bill and Nora wed. Note that Bill, age 27, is in the back row, the tall fellow 4th from the left and Nora, age 14, is seated, also 4th from the left. Bill's mom (and Nora's 3rd cousin, once remoed), Nancy L. (Riffle) Pumphrey, is seated, second from the left.
Bill’s dad was James W Pumphrey. The Pumphrey family were early settlers in Braxton County. His dad's mother was Mary Elizabeth (Posey) Pumphrey, grandaughter of the Oil Creek pioneer Catherine (Scott) Skinner-Posey, through Thomas Posey.
Nora, the daughter of George Washington and Hattie (Skinner) Riffle, also belonged to the large, extended Riffle family through her father. George was the son of John A. and Lucinda (Harris) Riffle.
Nora's mom Hattie was the daughter of Confederate Veteran Draper John and Mary (Heater) Skinner. Draper John was the son of pioneer children Alexander and Phebe (Conrad) Skinner and Mary was the daughter of pioneers William L. and Mary (Coger) Heater.
Bill Pumphrey's paternal grandparents James and Mary Elizabeth (Posey) Pumphrey are pictured to the right.