Friday, August 01, 2008

Foster Was a Center Fielder & Switch Hitter

.
by Betty (Cart) Densmore

My father, Charles Foster Cart, was born in Strange Creek, Braxton County, to Fleet Cart and Susan (Moore) Cart and graduated from high school in Huntington, West Virginia.

He came to Orlando in about 1925 as a telegraph operator and agent for the B & O Railroad. He later held the same position with the railroad at Burnsville. He met my mother Hazel Wooddell at a church social where the men bid on the women’s picnic baskets. My father was the successful bidder on my mother’s basket. They were married and had four children, Mary (Cart) Barcus, Betty (Cart) Densmore, Sue Ann Cart Tighe and Charles Foster Cart, Jr.

My father loved baseball and all other sports but baseball was his favorite. He took my brother to some games in Pittsburgh when we lived in Grafton. He bought the two older girls miniature baseball bats from the Louisville Sluggers baseball bat company. I still have mine.

He played center field and was a switch hitter.

. . . . .
P. S. -One of my neighbors in Florida is Mary Marguerite (Moran) Bush, daughter of John and Myrtle Moran of Burnsville. Her grandfather was Patrick Moran of Orlando. Mary Marguerite’s first grade teacher at Burnsville was my aunt Madeline Cart who was my dad’s sister.
Right: Mary (Moran) Bush's parents John and Myrtle (Knight) Moran



Note: Hazel's mother Susan grew up on Clover Fork, the daughter of George & Annie (Barbe) Bennett. One of Susan's brothers was Dave Bennett who married Macel Parmer (see The Last Midwife ). and one of her sisters, Sarah Esther Bennett, married Gid Skinner

Dave Bennett is on the left, Sarah (Bennett) Skinner is on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Betty,

    You don't know me, but, you know my mother, Martha Evelyn Golden Amos. She would like to be able to get ahold of you. Could you please e-mail your info to me @ jmdmra@yahoo.com? Thanks, Mark Amos

    ReplyDelete